Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pocket Question

Basically what Goldisox has is a pocketless Unhoodie and I think he'd really love pockets. The question on the table is: how do I do it at this point?

I know EZ snips a few stitches and drops in a knitted pocket but I know he'd like the vertical pockets you find on a hoodie. I was lying awake last night thinking about how to do it (get the angle right, etc.) and whether patching them on top of the existing fabric made more sense than cutting into it and reworking but the whole thing just made my head hurt.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the blogosphere hasn't rushed to your aid on this one! I would, as you suggest, simply make the pocket (one big one across the front) and stitch it on top rather than cutting into it. BUT I am totally not an expert, so listen to others' advice first - if you get any!

4:47 PM  
Blogger kozmic said...

Do you have a copy of the Wonderful Wallaby pattern Barbara? If so steal the pocket instructions from it to give a nice angled entry pouch pocket on the front. To pick up the stitches on an existing garment I'd run a bright coloured marker thread along the row where you want to pick the pocket up from. Then, with the line clearly marked, I'd use a crochet hook to work thru the fabric picking up a row of stitches.When the pocket was the size required I'd reverse the process to take the live knitting stitches back through the fabric to be able to cast them off invisibly on the inside. Clear as mud eh? Email me if you'd like a more long winded explaination. :0)

6:28 PM  
Blogger Mary Anne Mohanraj said...

Wow, I'm just awed and intimidated by the very concept of trying to do this.

7:12 PM  
Blogger LizzieK8 said...

I just did my first afterthought pocket and it's pretty neat! However, that doesn't give you the angled one....

Keep us posted.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home