Friday, November 10, 2006

GET FELTED - Day 10


***GUEST PET: Georg has this to say about Pepe, the quilt-sitting King of All Cats: "Here's Pepe, caught sewing on one of my quilts. He loves helping me with any of my projects. He has to sit on the knitting/crocheting and play with the string. He sits on the cutting board when I cut fabric. He has to sit as close as possible to the
sewing machine while it runs. And if I sort pieces of fabric, he has to help. He's also very good at licking my fingers while I try to type. He
is truly adorable."


And exceptionally handsome. And clearly He Who Rules His Universe. ***

I'm living a soap opera right now and will be for the next few weeks. Let's just say that when your grandfather had five wives it's not easy to explain how you ended up his only grandchild. Actually it's not easy to explain how you ended up (marginally) sane either but that sanity is quickly slipping away in an ocean of paperwork. It also doesn't help that anyone who could help me sort this out is long dead and took their secrets with them.

The only thing keeping me roped into reality is that damned unfinished red spiral sock.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Barbara, I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggling with a family crisis. I hope all is resolved soon!

I find it somewhat ironic that your hated red spiral sock is what is anchoring you to reality. Funny what reminds us of what's important and what isn't.

1:26 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Beautiful cat georg! Gotta love the attitude and 'assistance'.

Barbara - I'm afraid to even imagine the depth of the paperwork. My deepest condolences. I had a grandfather who went through 5 wives, too. I've been spared the paperwork, fortunately.

2:52 PM  
Blogger georg said...

Thank you, laurap! Normally he's the shyest cat we have. He's only grumpy because I caught him stitching. :)

I *did* try a sock. I tried Wendy's Toe-Up sock pattern and I paid no heed to guage. Um, I bound it off when I had gotten far enough along to where I can give it to my youngest neice for a hat.

I am trying again though.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, family: can't live with 'em, without exist but for 'em... Trying to decipher an unknown past is like putting together a puzzle on acid. Hope you come out of this experience relatively intact .

12:21 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Hey, Kali! You found us! (Kali is one of my best pals in the world. I have an incriminating photo of Kali and her mom with two half-naked cover boys from the RT conference in 2003 that would definitely shake things up.) (Nothing like watching a non-romance worlder get her first glimpse of a grown man in angel wings and white spandex tights.)

Who would've thought life could get crazier, huh? Now I'm being asked to prove a negative. You can prove someone married and had children but how do you prove a man didn't? It's like . . . well, it's like asking how many winged boys in tights can dance on the head of a pin.

Love you and watch for email.

And Laura, you too!?!?!? Grandpa was originally a Kansas boy. Is it something in the midwestern air?

12:11 PM  
Blogger georg said...

Wild skeletons in the closet for me was discovering at the meeting of the moms at my wedding and going over the guest list... "Hilda Congdon? Any relation to Archie?"
"Yes, Archie Congdon was her father-in-law. Archie had 4 boys."
"He married my mother for their second marriage and had a hand in raising me, since I was her youngest."

No real blood relation, but still pretty creepy to find you mother-in-law in family reunion photos of your mother's family.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose ... but you can't pick your family." :-)

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home