Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Wow, I really need to dust...


To provide some perspective about the whole sheep to sock process, I thought I'd document and share my progress from start to finish. I took pictures of Baby BunBun, the sweet Satin angora rabbit who earlier this summer donated a copious amount of fluffy gray fiber. BunBun's shy and wriggly, so those photos didn't turn out well. I'll try again another day when my daughter's here to help.

I pulled out the box of Cotswold wool and the bag of angora. I dug through the baskets of wool in the living room for an empty spindle to spin the yarn onto and, darn it, there weren't any. I had one type of singles wool or another on every spindle. So, I wound a bit of Shetland singles on the ball winder, which freed up one spindle. I slipped that one into place on the spinning wheel and began plying strands of Manx Loughton singles wool from the two remaining spindles that work with this spinning wheel. The result is a moderately soft two-ply yarn about worsted weight. When I had a good amount on the spindle, I took this picture and uploaded it to the computer.

That's when I noticed the dust. Oh my. A few tweaks of the shadows and highlights in a photo-editing program made much of the evidence disappear. Wish that would work in the living room.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

This sounds fascinating but I am a total ignoramus when it comes to spinning. Where does the Baby BunBun fur come into this process?

And I'm NOT going to make any bad puns about dust bunnies....

10:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

Laura, I'm in awe that you spin your own yarn. That's a skill that's simply beyond my comprehension. I have enough trouble collecting various yarns for projects, the DH would shoot me if I started another new hobby, but lordy, does this spinning thing ever look tempting.

10:33 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Good question, Nancy. I should have been clearer, but it had been one of THOSE days, and clarity can be a relative thing.

First I have to empty the spindles of other yarn projects so I'll have something to spin the sock yarn onto. Then I'll blend a bit of BunBun's fur with the carded sheep's wool and spin a few yards to see how I like the results.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Laura. Dear Laura. How many tombstones have you seen that read "She dusted?"

Cool stuff, your spinning. But I'm just now learning to make socks ... thanks to THE Wendy's book. Methinks spinning is best left to others.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

My spinning wheel shows dust like nothing else I own, too. It's a shame, really, because it also shows up loose bits of fiber that come off of whatever I'm spinning, and so it collects the bits of stuff faster than nearly anything else in the house...

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home