Monday, September 11, 2006

Yes, It Is All Your Fault

What a nice little trip down memory lane! Was it just three years ago that we were so astonished by the idea of actually knitting a sock? How many socks ago was that? Even more frightening, how many miles of yarn have passed under, around and over the needles since then?

Remember the Outback Mohair that we both just had to have - in several different colors, no less. And did I ever tell you I planned to knit an entire afghan in eyelash yarn? Just one huge expanse of garter stitch furry stuff. It would have looked like a huge Muppet pelt. And do you know how much that sucker would have weighed?

When I look back over the last three years, I'm struck by how much I've learned - and how much stash I've acquired! Socks on tiny needles, lace in itty bitty yarn, cables that twist and turn - three years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be able to knit any of them.

Thank you for the kind words about my work. I'll admit that I sometimes feel like crying when I look at it, too. You know, times when I've forgotten a yarnover sixteen rows back in a complex lace pattern or I've just realized I dropped a stitch three inches back on a sock or I've knit an entire sweater only to realize the yarn looked better on the sheep. Yeah, I can definitely squeeze out a tear or two at times like that.

I actually don't have that many pictures of my efforts but I did scrounge up a halfway decent picture of the socks that took me two years to finish. Hey, it's not as bad as it sounds. One sock, one year. Seems reasonable to me. This is the Peak Experience pattern done in Regia yarn with Elann sock yarn for the heels and toes. Don't you love how great the colors match?

Thanks for welcoming me to the blog.

Dallas

9 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

You're here! I told you it was as easy as frogging six rows of Cotton Ease.

Remember when I decided I would only knit with Berroco yarns and then narrowed it down to only Uxbridge Tweed? What was I thinking? It took three Really Bad Hats to cure me of that particular obsession.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Dallas, a very warm welcome to RTY! It's so great to have you here. Barbara's said all kinds of nice things about you so we're all looking forward to getting to know you via blog.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Welcome, Dallas! I've got to say, the photos of your knitting that Barbara posted make me want to throw up my hands in defeat and convert my needles to darts. IOW, you're a beautiful knitter and I'm (boo-hoo!) not. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your posts and to more of those wonderful photos.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Thank you for the kind welcome, Nancy. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you, too. As for the nice things Barbara has said about me, just remember, Barbara tells lies for a living!

Barbara - Yes, I remember the Uxbridge Tweed obessession. I would certainly never do anything like that. (It would be mean to remind me that I have Filati Fantasia Cezanne in six different colors!)

Fran - Knitting needles do not make good darts. Do not ask me how I know this. Thank you for the kind words about my knitting. It's certainly become an obsession over the last couple of years.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

Dallas, just wanted to add my welcome along with the rest of the knitting crew.

WELCOME DALLAS

And might I add that I just love, Love, LOVE your books!! You and Barbara are two of my idols. I have quite a few of your older books on my keeper shelf.

Barbara - Did I tell you how much I loved GIRLS OF SUMMER?

12:02 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Welcome, Dallas!

I can't imagine an entire afghan in eyelash yarn. I have a couple of different scarves in it, and my husband calls those Muppet scarves as it is... I don't know what he'd say to a Muppet blanket!

1:33 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Welcome, Dallas! Love the socks, love the pics BB posted. Love your books. This is going to be such fun!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Hi Jamie - Thank you for the warm welcome and the nice words about my books. Gracious, any more encouragement like that and I may have to see if I can finish the never-ending book!

Jean - If you can go into your LYS and only come out with what you intended to buy, you're a much better woman than I am. I always seem to find so many things I didn't know I just had to have.

I love the Magic Loop method. I'll be curious to see what you think of it. I haven't tried toe up socks yet but I really want to. Maybe when I finish up one or two of the eight pairs of socks I've already got going, I'll give it a try.

Laura - Thank you for the welcome. I think you're right - this will be fun!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Jamie Denton said...

Gracious, any more encouragement like that and I may have to see if I can finish the never-ending book!

Dallas, you need encouragment to finish the book, you come see me, 'k?

OMG! I've been a fan forever. And I know I'm dating us both by admitting that, but I can't help myself.

THE Dallas Schulz is here!!

And she knits!

Speaking of books, Barbara, when is your next release due to hit the shelves?

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home