Friday, September 15, 2006

Don't They Ever Stop Talking About Yarn?



Yes, the rumors are true. Barbara does sleep with the Patternworks catalog under her pillow.

And yes, that's Goldisox walking away from their car. Notice that they are the only people in the vicinity. Let's just say (in Barbara's excitement) they got there a wee bit early.

From Barbara to Dallas:

It's too much. A girl can hold out just so long before she loses her head and gives in to temptation.

I can stay away from eBay if I have to. I've even been good at controlling my Elann addiction lately. (If we don't discuss the huge stash of Micro Stretch, Micro Cable, Micro Everything I have hidden away.) (We don't count sock yarn, right?) And look at how I managed to push WEBS out of my mind (after buying up Tahki Cotton Classic for the Log Cabin I'm dying to start.) (That was August's knitting obsession. It's September now. Why haven't I cast on yet?) And Knit Picks and Woodland Woolworks and --

Anyway, the point is I'm trying to shop my stash and steer clear of fiber occasions of sin and I've been doing a pretty good job of it but as of right now all bets are off.

Did you SEE the new Patternworks Catalog? I mean, a new Patternworks catalog is always a moment of near-religious significance to me. (Remember the trip I made to the Source of All Things Beautiful two years ago?) (A wall, an entire wall of Koigu PPPM!) Maybe I could have resisted its lure. Maybe I just might have been able to flip through the pages, sigh longingly, and toss it into the recycle bin if I hadn't made the fatal mistake of checking out their new line of Patternworks yarn and I saw it.

Bretton. They named a sock yarn Bretton. My last name is Bretton and I am a sock knitting addict.

It's Karma, right? La forza del destino. The flying fickle finger of fibery fate.

Now I know how Lucy feels.

$$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$ $$

From Dallas to Barbara:

If you're looking to me to preach yarn buying restraint, you're talking to the wrong girl. I just spent an entire afternoon rearranging one closet full of stash so that I could at least open the door without courting death by wool avalanche.

I'll see your yet-to-be-started Log Cabin and raise you five hat projects, eight unstarted sweaters, six tote bags that will someday be felted and I don't think I can count high enough for the scarves I've got planned. (Do not mention the sock yarn. Everyone knows sock yarn doesn't count as part of the stash.)

Remember how Patternworks forgot me last time? The only catalog I got was a spare that you sent me. After yesterday's close encounter with way too much yarn, I was half hoping they'd forget me again this time. The last thing I need is more tempation. Wouldn't you know, I got a catalog today and all I can say is 'Help!'.

The Jewel Sock Kit, the 50s V-neck sweater in alpaca silk Georgette, the Rowan Silk & Wool vest with nifty little lacy inserts and the Bretton yarn - how could I resist that? I'm hyperventilating just thinking about all the things I want. Never mind that I already have more projects than you can shake a knitting needle at - 18 started projects, for crying out loud!

I must learn to knit in my sleep. That's the only way I'll be able to get through even half of the projects I want to make.

13 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Barbara, clearly you MUST buy the Bretton yarn. Nor should it count as part of your stash because, well, it's special: it's named after you so it's significant. Can you share a picture of it? I want to see it!

Dallas, I haven't even seen the catalog and you've made me want to knit the "50s V-neck sweater in silk alpaca Georgette". Silk alpaca!!! That's got to feel fabulous on the skin. LOL on knitting in your sleep! Actually, there are a lot of things I'd like to be able to get done in my sleep: laundry, errands, synopses, laundry, oh, and did I mention laundry?

4:56 PM  
Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

Nancy - The 50's V-neck sweater looks exactly like it sounds. It's an utterly simple, classic sweater, the kind of thing that rides out every fad and whim of fashion.

The only problem with knitting a garment like this is that it is really simple, as in miles and miles of stockinette at a relatively fine gauge. Knitting like that can drive a girl to drink - or encourage her to add cables in inappropriate places to alleviate the boredom factor.

I've ordered the book and, if I give in to temptation and make this sweater, I'll have to convert it to knitting in the round, if it isn't already done that way. I can do miles of stockinette in the round. It's the back and forth stuff that just drives me batty - and leads to those inappropriate cables.

Oh, and if you figure out how to do laundry and erranding in your sleep, would you please share the secret?

5:47 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I'm so glad sock yarn doesn't count as part of the stash! I hope my patternworks catalog is in my mailbox this afternoon. I sent a bunch of my bulky-weight all wool stash to my mom to use for felting projects like the cat beds from Wendy Knits (my new front load environmentally friendly washer is very felting unfriendly). I think that means I can go buy more yarn!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Okay, Dallas, I'm imagining cables in "inappropriate" places and making myself giggle.

Brenda, sending yarn to your mom definitely allows you to go buy more!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I agree, I'd rather do errands in my sleep than knitting. Why bother knitting in your sleep? That's the same as buying a sweater off the rack. But laundry... does anyone really care about the process of doing laundry? (I don't mean doing it right so that the clothes don't shrink. Knitters definitely care about that.)

At least I'll have more knitting time now that '1776' is "on the boards". Our opening last night went really well, and anyone who is curious will find some stories and pictures here. (Yes. Shameless promotion. I'm producing; can't help it.)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Cindi Myers said...

Because of you ladies I just went and ordered a Patternworks catalog. I can't wait!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Nicole, many, many congratulations on your successful opening night! "I see the rays of ravishing light and glory." (Sorry, I adore that song and can never resist singing it in my mind.)

I loved seeing your pictures of the production and I'm so glad it went well. "Mama, Look Sharp" is definitely a powerful statement and deserves a moment of silence. Your singer must have done a splendid job.

Okay, now I have to go play the soundtrack again.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks, Nancy! It's always great to meet people who appreciate good theatre. And when said people are also knitters... well, it doesn't get much better!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Cool, Nicole. Our son has done some off-off-Broadway acting and directing ... "The Gray Zone" (assistant director) being his most famous. Of course, he also has a day job. Three day jobs, actually. Sounds like a writer, huh?

10:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Broadway Nicole, congratulations! I spent a long time poking around your blog and loved loved loved the details about the show. More, please! I agree that "Mama, Look Sharp" is a crowd-pleaser but I always thought "Molasses to Rum to Slaves" was the one that really produces the body slam.

I'll admit to having a bit of a crush not only on William Daniels but John Adams too (I just push that pesky Alien & Sedition Act to one side) and sop up the wonderful love story. (I devour everything I can find about John and Abigail.)

What a passionate time in every sense of the word! I think "1776" should be required viewing.

How long is the play expected to run? Do you have to be there every night or is it on its own now? The costumes and sets were quite impressive.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

We run for a total of a month, so Oct 7th is our closing night. And as the sound operator, I do have to be there for each and every performance... good thing I love the show so much! I promise I'll add more details.

Oh - and Molasses to Rum is a great song, too, but it packs a different sort of punch. When it's over, the audience can't help but know it, so they start clapping right away. And I guess I'm partial toward it, since my brother-in-law is playing Rutledge is our version. =)

12:12 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

All this theatre talk - sigh. One of the few urban wonders I truly miss having access to out here in the boonies.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Your brother-in-law must have an incredible voice, Nicole, to play Rutledge. I get goosebumps just thinking of the power of that song in the right hands. (Right vocal cords?) Reading your blog stirred up the old desire to volunteer at one of our community theaters. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, like the thrill of watching live performances. Good, bad, or indifferent I love 'em all. Anyone who has the guts to stand up there on a stage has my undying gratitude and admiration. (Maybe that's why the American Idol auditions make me cry. Those kids are standing there with their hearts on the outside of their bodies. Can you IMAGINE the sheer terror of being asked to read your writing aloud to Simon Cowell????)

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home