Monday, September 04, 2006

Computer Crashes and Knitting Mistakes - Unraveling Admist the Cursing

My computer crashed last week. On the anniversary of my last computer crash. Hey, I'm a romantic sort of person, but celebrating the day that some malware destroyed all my data by doing it AGAIN is hardly what I call a good time. But why is that like knitting? Because we all have the project that has been one crashed system after another.

Last year I fell in love with a sweater pattern from a magazine. You know the feeling--oh, wouldn't that look great in a nice rusty brown and be so wonderful and warm. Oh, yeah, the seduction of something that looks really, really comfortable. (Besides being romantic, I also love things that are warm and cozy.) So I brought the yarn and started knitting.

Now I would love to show you pictures, but of course they are on my other hard drive, which is currently shoved into the closet until I can stand to look at it again. Not unlike my sweater project. Because every time I start to knit it, I screw up--or rather it crashes. I got 3/4 of the way done on the back and realized I had a big mistake in the middle of the back. I got out my ball winder, hooked it to the sweater and started reverse knitting at high speed. I mean it hurts to rip out weeks and weeks of knitting, so you might as well do it quick and fast. When I finally got the back done, I heaved a huge sigh of relief and continued blithely on thinking the worst was behind me.

Then I cast on one of the fronts and used the stitch count for a sleeve. Duh! Out comes the ball winder when I am about six inches up from the bottom. This what comes of watching non-stop episodes of 24 when you are knitting, you're too engrossed to notice the mistakes. I get one front knit and then knit the other, only to realize as I am looking at the finished pair and gloating that there are no mistakes, that I completely forgot to put buttonholes in either side.

The sleeves? I cast on the amount for one of the fronts. And didn't notice for about seven inches. Ball winder meet brown #$%# sweater AGAIN. I have to say that Cascade 220 holds up to a lot of knitting and unknitting and knitting again. As it is, I am nearly done with the last sleeve, but I really am hesitant to pick it up again and finish the darn thing because I am quite convinced that there will be another mistake that will have to be ripped out and redone. Rather like I am dreading next August 30th when I am now convinced my computer will upchuck all over my life yet again.

But one thought has struck me. If the sweater turns out to be itchy or not fit, I've thought of another use for it. A shroud for my computer when I toss it into Puget Sound.

5 Comments:

Blogger LauraP said...

Can't help with the computer, but hey, knitting mistakes...who needs buttonholes?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Boyle said...

I've been looking at this sweater over and over and I think I can put buttonbands on it and it won't look too dorky. But believe me, I am NOT knitting that front over. NO way. :)

10:35 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Oh, Elizabeth, I understand the computer freak-out. April 13th is my Unlucky Computer Day. Two years in a row. Two different laptops. It kinda sets a girl to wondering . . .

12:57 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Boyle said...

Yeah, what is it with computers going south on the same day? Someone out there has a really sick,sick sense of humor. And they must know I always have a book due in Sept, so they really want me to go nuts. A conspiracy, definitely.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help with the 'puter, but what about those lovely Scandanavian hook-and-eye latch-thingies for the sweater? Or (dare I say it) frogs? I'm sure knitters love the in-joke of frogs holding a sweater closed.

Network down and temporarily idle,

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home