Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sock pictures that should be in my previous post but aren't

Rob's Broad Ripples

I love these socks and gave them to a dear friend of mine. But in retrospect I hate the way the color pooled over the instep and around the ankle. Now, a year later, I know I would have started a new skein of yarn there to break it up but I didn't know what I didn't know. (A New York-ism.) Also, there's something about Broad Ripple that seems to encourage pooling, probably the break from pattern to plain makes it more obvious. My other comment is why didn't I take an on-the-foot photo of them? Why didn't I show them to their best advantage? And while I'm asking questions, why didn't I photograph everything I've knitted and not just some. I'm so sorry I don't have a complete record. Good or bad, it's a visual record of my progress. Damn.


<- Plain garden variety white Fixation w/heel flap and gusset, Kitchenered toe

I'm starting to think I might be crazy. With all the gorgeous yarn out there, why am I obsessed with knitting plain white and plain black socks?? Yes, these belong to Goldisox. I've made--what? Three or four or five pairs of them so far. Plain plain utterly plain. I used #1US for the body and after washing you can barely discern any stitch definition at all which, I have to admit, I find incredibly cool. He loves these socks. I love that he loves these socks. In fact, he knows that roses don't make me feel half as romantic as the sight of him wearing socks I've made. It delights me beyond all endurance.

This is the photo of the Shoprite doll and the Broad Ripples that I promised you in the previous post. I've read that Blogger sometimes gives you trouble when you're uploading photos into a draft already in progress and that might be true. I uploaded these into an empty post and so far so good. The question is, why in the name of Elizabeth Zimmerman did I want to post this picture in the first place?








Somebody knit that poor boy a sweater...

(Hmm . . . A Colin Firth Knitalong?)

Barbara

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Who is that? And why is someone pouring liquid mud over his head? Is this a new form of torture? LOL

Okay, Barbara, you've given me way too many options on the sock front. I began clicking on the links and my eyes started crossing from sensory overload. What's a nice easy way to ease into sock knitting? That's what I need!

I can't wait to turn a heel!

3:27 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

So many sock patterns...choices, choices, choices, and a while month to make up my mind. Yummmmmm. I so love the daydreaming and planning stages. (Good that I'm a writer then eh?)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Colin Firth.

I'd recommend visiting THE Wendy's website and sitting down quietly to read the tutorial on socks that was pubbed in Knitty. If you want to do toe-up that's the way to start. And she uses dpns so you're getting a knitter's classical education.

If you don't want to tackle dpns right now, check out Patternworks for the Magic Loop booklet through Fiber Trends.

There's also Lucy Neatby's great book with a very basic sock pattern in it, Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook has a few great basic patterns w/variations. The TS book is basically about spinning and dyeing but the knitting section is among the best I've seen. Also there's a book that's literally in the shape of a sock. I think it's called (obviously) SOCKS. One or two very basic patterns.

The truth is that once you know the basics you'll never need a basic pattern again. The architecture for a heel flap/gusset sock doesn't change. The only thing that does is how you get to it.

Decide what weight yarn you want to use: fingering (sock), DK weight, worsted. Buy the appropriate needles, remembering that smaller needles yield better, more professional-looking socks. Once you do that, take measurements, knit for gauge, and apply all of your old math classes to determining your cast on, etc.

This will all be made clear in any basic tutorial or book. I promise.

And yes I went through the same trials. I wanted more basic than basic and it was hard to find.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Okay, why is Colin Firth taking a mud bath? Is he trying to improve his complexion?

I'm headed for THE Wendy's website right now for the sock tutorial.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

The photo might be weird but trust me when I say I have one of Sean Connery loaded and ready that will sear your retinas.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Bring it on!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home