Wednesday, September 02, 2009

FO: Alma Mater Scarf

I did it! I finally finished something! Of course, my nephew's birthday is September 10th and the scarf is for him so I really had no choice.



This is an adaptation of a pattern from Scarfstyle which switches right sides every four inches or so, has stripes, and some interesting ribbed texture. It's very manly somehow. Can you tell my nephew goes to Wake Forest (Go, Demon Deacons)? He requested that I include his initials, hence the LCN on the other end of the scarf.



Many, many thanks to all of you Yarnies for your suggestions on hiding the back of the intarsia. Taking your advice, I ended up knitting two plain back panels the size of the section with the letters and sewing them onto the back. (I wanted to do double-knitting but found it too complicated with the intarsia pattern; my brain is very feeble.) I left one end open to create a pocket for holding ticket stubs, cash, Kleenex, or whatever. I got that idea from a NJ Devils scarf my husband gave me which has a zippered pocket built in.

(I know this just looks like black but it is the knitted back panel/pocket, and looks much neater than the reverse side of the intarsia.)

Woo hoo! Of course, I still have to complete the white lace scarf which will probably never be done because I'm convinced Barbara's Sugar Maple magic has bewitched the ball of yarn so it never, EVER ends. And I'm working on a beautiful soft blue throw blanket which I'm trying to finish before Christmas as a gift. It takes me forever to do one row because it's so darn BIG. But the yarn is so gorgeous that I love having it draped over my lap. And my (different, older) nephew and his wife are expecting a baby so I have to knit a bib for that. And I''ve found a pattern for a sweater I want to knit for myself. And...yes, I've still got the knitting disease.


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Fran Baker said...

Cool scarf, Nancy. I don't want my UT-Austin grad/Longhorns fan nephew to see that. He'd want one in orange and white! Thought I must confess that I did do an orange and white blankie for the baby he and his wife are expecting next March.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Katminder said...

That looks wonderful! Was it terribly hard? I've always wanted to try putting initials or a Maple Leaf into a scarf or throw. Congratulations!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Awww, the blankie sounds darling, Fran!

Katminder, no, it's not hard at all (or I wouldn't be doing it). I use plain old graph paper to work out how the letters should be knitted--one stitch per square--before I start knitting them. What makes it really easy is knowing you can hide the back with a knitted panel because the back of intarsia can look pretty weird and messy.

I create several small hanks of yarn before I start so I can easily add a new color where I need to. That way I don't have to think every stitch pattern through to figure out where the yarn will start and end. Pure laziness on my part. However, then you have more ends to weave in after you're finished so it catches up with me.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

That scarf looks awesome...I wonder if I can keep my best friend from seeing this site...

If I see that scarf around WInston, I'll know who knit it. You might get requests for more of them.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

LOL, Catherine! When I knitted a soccer scarf for my son, his whole team wanted scarves just like it. That was a little beyond my capabilities.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Katminder said...

You're the best, Nancy! I really appreciate your input, maybe I'll venture into intarsia over the cold winter while I snuggle up with some wool yarn.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Go for it, Katminder! Email me if you have any problems and I'll try to help. nancyherkness@comcast.net

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home