Saturday, June 20, 2009

Frogging a Novel

I'm frogging, y'all, which is not something I ever enjoy. I'm frogging and reknitting at the same time, and I'm doing the same dang thing in my writing.

I finished the second book in my contract. I gave it a couple of passes, but no major revisions, which is what it really needed. I felt it, of course. You know when that niggling voice whispers in your ear? Okay, mine is a little louder. (WHERE IS YOUR CONFLICT? WHAT IS KEEPING THEM APART? GOOD GOD, WOMAN!)

So now I'm revising, big time. I'm in the middle of it, and I'm moving scenes, deleting them, changing characters into who they need to be and killing the ones who don't matter. It's hard work, but I'm giving it my best shot.

During all this, I've been designing a sweater for the book. I had something clearly in mind: a moss stitch cardigan with pockets. I knit the whole dang thing, and then I HATED it. I'm not even bothering to ball the yarn; I'm just reknitting it right from the prior sweater's pieces (into lovely smooth stockinette).


(Crap picture, but you can see the moss turning into smooth stockinette. Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, in Firefly)

It feels good, both things. I like the symmetry.

Just keep writing. Just keep knitting.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

I was wondering where your knittiness had gone to in your y'agogo blog. Now I know!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

i actually think that is smart to frog/knit at the same time! Hmmm, what's the new book about?? guess we will all have to wait! smile

9:01 PM  
Blogger goosefairy said...

Second book! yay! :) Of course, I'm still waiting to buy the first one (tap tap tap)

I far prefer to re-knit from the knitting. I also think it stresses the yarn less.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it!

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home