Monday, June 15, 2009

Things You Hate to Find....



This is the Vortex Shawl. I'm not knitting it in this colorway but actually in a Lorna's Laces sock yarn on the Mining colorway. Think earth tones :). It really will be gorgeous when it's done.

I was merrily knitting on the Vortex Shawl this weekend and when I stopped to admire the loveliness that is my knitting ... only to discover an unintentional (and incorrect) make one (additional stitch) about eight rows ago. I'd finally gotten comfortable with fixing dropped stitches and thought maybe I could drop the extra stitch and fix it. No such luck - I now had a gap at the current row about a half inch wide.

There was no choice - I had to unknit back to this row and fix it

In a way, it reminds me of when something goes wrong in a story and, in fact, the editing I'm doing for my Ellora's Cave release right now. There's no quick fix. All you can do is suck it up, undo back to where something went wrong and redo it.

And, yes, I have project ADD. I know it. I'm still hoping to get update pictures soon.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Edna said...

I love that shawl! Is it pretty easy to knit? Where can I find the pattern?
Thanks!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Maura Anderson said...

It's very easy to knit. After row 13, it's a two row repeat and almost all knit, no purling. Just a few yarnovers.

It's on Ravelry as a free pattern. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vortex-shawl

It goes pretty fast, too, at least when you're NOT unknitting :)

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maura, this is GORGEOUS! I hopped right over to Ravelry and downloaded the pattern. Thanks for the link!

I have some KidLin in a lovely purple/black that I'd like to try, but it's laceweight. I'm not experienced enough to know if that would be an acceptable substitute?

I know it would be more lacy, but that's okay, I'm looking at it as more of an accent shawl rather than a for-warmth one.

Are there any other aspects I should consider? I'm new to lace, but I think I could handle this and I'm really a sucker for spirals ... and shawls.

Thanks,
LynneW

2:17 PM  
Blogger Maura Anderson said...

Hi Lynne!

I think you could easily do it in a laceweight yarn. I'm using sock weight but I can't see why it wouldn't work in lace. I'd probably try a swatch in a couple of different sizes of needles to see what density you like and go with that size.

One of the beauties of this pattern is that you can just keep going and going until it becomes the size you want or you get sick of it (or run out of yarn).

I did start mine with magic loop instead of dpns because I found it much easier to juggle.

I say go for it! And you'll have to post a link to a picture when you're done :)

- Maura

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home