Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Favorite Knitting Books



Knitting books are very personal things. One knitter's can't-live-without favorite might elicit nothing but yawns from another.

I recently purchased two highly anticipated sock books. I'd like to tell you I love them. I'd like to tell you they'll be with me until I lay down my circs for the last time. If I did, I'd be lying to you. (I'd also like to tell you the titles but the author in me finds it tough to say negative things about a book in a public forum.)

What are your can't-live-without-'em knitting books? Which ones will you take with you to the grave? Are you an EZ disciple or do you worship at the shrine of Charlene Schurch or Lucy Neatby?

In random order I give you the following:

  • Elizabeth Zimmerman's An Opinionated Knitter

  • EZ's Knitting Workshop

  • All 3 Sally Melville books

  • Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks, Warm Feet (Or is it Warm Feet, Cool Socks?)

  • Socks! Socks! Socks!

  • Twisted Sisters sock book

  • THE Wendy's book

  • Nora Gaughan's newest (title not in front of me, but it references nature)

  • Compassionate Knitting - Tara Jon Manning

  • Men In Knits - Tara Jon Manning

I am the first to admit that I am a drama queen. Goldisox says I see the world not only in technicolor, but with stereophonic sound and a laugh track. I mean, I hate going into the bank because the second I walk through the door I imagine armed robbers bursting in behind me, guns drawn, faces masked, screaming for us to hit the ground or somebody's gonna get hurt. I hear the gunfire. I hear the screams. I see myself scrunching along the tile floor in search of the alarm button that will summon or teeny tiny police force . . . all this in the time it takes to deposit a check.

Let's just say I'm not exactly the kind of knitter/woman you'd figure would be drawn to a Zen Buddhist approach to knitting. But I am. Tara Jon Manning's book resonates with me in a way I can't properly articulate. Knitting is more than just knitting. It's a connection to a deeper something that sooner or later I'm determined to understand. My inner child? Your inner child? All those generations of knitters who came before us? I wish I knew.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In addition to those that you named (that I've read--some I haven't) I have to have the Yarn Harlot books. Not always much knitting in there, but always about knitting and usually good for a few giggles.

I also have a thing for lace, and Gathering of Lace is a good one. And Stitch N Bitch by Debbie Stoller is good--I actually learned to knit out of that one. The Knit Lit books, and Knitting Yarns and Spinning Tales (or something like that). I guess I like to read about knitting as much as I like to knit!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Knitterary said...

Well, I'm a book lover and a knitter, so you can imagine the state of my knitting shelves. Crammed.

I have a couple of Alice Starmore books that I prize. A few design books, including Ann Feitelson's book on fair isle, though I've never knit from it. The XRX Best of Arans and Celtics. Those are the ones I would save in a fire.

And the harlot books, because if I lost all my other knitting books in a fire, I'd need her wit to get me through it.

Are any of you going to RT?

Theresa S.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I just added Teach Yourself Knitting Design to my library, which is a great book because understanding how everything is put together seems to really help me in my daily knitting education.

It's funny, but I find myself turing to the net when I need technique help - places like knitty articles, etc. But for patterns I've been really into One Skein, Mason-Dixon, A Gathering of Lace, etc...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I'm a big SCARFSTYLE fan myself but that's because I like all things rectangular. Also, the instructions tend to be very, very clear, something I need very, very much.

Theresa, alas, I'm not going to be at RT. Are you going?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

What ARE you doing up so early, woman?

LOL about your bank scenario. I have a somewhat similar one when I go walking and envision a toddler in the street with a car speeding toward it. Of course, I have to run up there and save the toddler - sometimes picking him/her up and running to the nearest yard and sometimes just pushing the child out of harm's way and getting splattered all over the street myself.

Writers? I suppose.

12:25 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

beLOL on the bank scenario - I do that sort of thing, too. Must be a writer thing.

Knitting books - I think my can't live without list fluctuates with the seasons or my mood. I don't think I can pick, and I'm afraid to go look at the shelf to even think about it. I get too distracting visiting those shelves...it's like sitting down for a long chat with smart, sassy old friends.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't choose my favorites at this point. As I have set an indefinite moratorium on the purchase of yarn (although it is fun to enter these contests!), books have become my purchasing treat. I allow myself one per order at the library where I work. This works out to one or two a month. Wild and crazy, I know. :-)

I do especially love the 3 by Sally Melville and have learned oodles from her. With infinite time I would knit the vast majority of designs in Melissa Leapman's "Hot Knits" and Jean Frost's "Jackets." Love the Stitch N Bitch books - both knit and crochet - and have already made a couple of designs. My most recent acquisition is Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel and next in the queue is Lacy Style, which will join its siblings Wrap and Scarf on the shelf.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I agree with Fran: the bank scenario is a writer thing. My morning commute is often peppered with visions of major accidents.

I don't have many knitting books (yet) but two of my favorites are the Twisted Sisters Sock book you mentioned, and Knit and Crochet with Beads. I have yet to do any of the beaded patterns, but I'm getting there. Working up the nerve...

~Nicole

1:49 PM  
Blogger Knitterary said...

Nancy, yes, I'll be at RT. That's why I was asking. I was hoping to see some of you there.

And I also love Scarf Style. Great book.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only real can't-live-without books are a couple of old Barbara Walker stitch treasuries that I found in a yard sale (what a find!!). For the rest I tend to use the library

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home