Saturday, January 27, 2007

I Love Knitting Pure & Simple

The answer was right there on the Knitting Pure & Simple website in the FAQ section and if I had half a brain I would have looked beyond Errata my first time around. Not only does the FAQ section provide a ton of information, there's a tutorial on knitting your first top down sweater that's very informative. I am totally in love with the site, the designer, the patterns, the fun of knitting this sweater.

And here, with great fanfare, is the answer to my wonky sleeve stitches question:

Are the sleeve numbers reversed in my pattern?
This is the most asked question. Pure and Simple patterns are written differently than some, and this causes confusion. But sleeves do not need to get longer as a person gets bigger around. The mid back to wrist length stays the same. The average for a woman is 28 inches. So as the body gets larger around, the sleeve needs to be shorter.
Of course, all of the top down patterns have sleeves that are easily made just the length you want, by trying on the sweater and knitting until they are the length you like.


Dallas, you were right. It really is a question of faith. Sometimes you just have to trust the designer and follow where s/he leads.

Good grief! Was that a life lesson??

4 Comments:

Blogger Dallas Schulze said...

"Dallas, you were right."

Well, it had to happen sometime!

Actually, I think the obvious illogic of the instructions made me wonder if they were right. I guess that shows that I really do think knitting is magic.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I'm thrilled that the mystery has been explained. However, I just want to interject one small word of warning: sometimes the directions are, in fact, wrong. My convertible mitten pattern included a mathematically impossible sequence of instructions. Unfortunately, I didn't read far enough ahead to figure this out and had to frog an entire painstakingly knitting cuff and start over.

So questioning authority is still a useful thing to do sometimes. ;-)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

I somehow missed this whole question. But having knit numerous top-down sweaters for myself and for others, I would have had a similar answer as the P&S site. Probably not as well-phrased, but similar.

What I like about doing top-down sweaters is that you can make (and measure in the making) the sleeves as long or short as needed.

Still, I agree wholeheartedly with Nancy about questioning authority!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

That, m'lady, is too deep for me with my Super Bowl Fever to consider, but I wish you well all the same!

You will PREVAIL!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home