Thursday, November 30, 2006

Mr. Whipple would hate me

After the smashing success of the felted box (which DH says is the envy of the golf locker room), my husband made a request for a scarf. I happily trotted down to the LYS and began squeezing all the yarn on the pretext that I didn't want anything that would irritate my hubby's neck. Fortunately, the long-suffering ladies at Modern Yarn understand my obssession with the feel of the yarn.

Since the project is for my DH and since nothing is too good for him, I indulged in 100% Mongolian cashmere. (I had earned a 10% discount so that helped ease the price pain a little.) It's imported by the wonderfully named Jade Sapphire Exotic Fibres of Nyack, NY. Here's a closeup which I hope conveys some of the exquisitely delicious softness of the yarn.



When no one's in the room with me, I find myself cuddling the balls against my cheek.

I chose the "Campus" pattern from my favorite book ScarfStyle for several reasons:

1) It's lo-o-o-ng (one of DH's requirements for the ideal scarf);
2) It's masculine;
3) It has a fun but easy pattern, almost a rhythm;
4) It's reversible.

The book describes it thus: In this modern unisex scarf, Fiona Ellis (the pattern's creator) combines symmetry and asymmetry, textured stitch pattern, and colorwork.



I toned down the "colorwork" a bit, using three colors instead of six in order to keep it predominantly black. However, the "plaid" knit-and-purl stitch pattern makes even the dark sections look interesting (in person anyway--my photography isn't up to the task of capturing the texture).

Here's my question for the day: if you could pick any yarn in the world to knit with (and price was irrelevant in this perfect world of my imagination), what would it be?

11 Comments:

Blogger kshotz said...

Oooh! Gorgeous!!! What a treat! I hope your husband fully appreciates what a lucky guy he is!

I'd like to see what that quivit (sp?) yarn is all about! (talk about expensive!)

Kim

10:48 AM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Definitely, I'd go quviut. And cashmere, angora, alpaca, silk...do I have to pick just one?

That scarf must feel heavenly against the skin. Lucky husband!

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first thought was cashmere or silk, but then I remembered how much I really really love wool.

I'm working now with a wool called Dolly, from Cascade (the 220 people), and it's incredible. Delicious. My SnB group compared it to cashmere -- it's that soft. I'm making a cabled scarf and hat set for a holiday present out of it, but I yearn to make a turtleneck or cowl neck sweater for myself. And wear it every day with a big smile.

I love that Scarf Style book. One of my favorites.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Kim and Laura, what's "quviut"? I've never heard of it but I'm always willing to fondle a new yarn. :-)

Theresa, I have to check out Dolly. If it's wool that feels like cashmere, I'm in love! I say you go for that sweater just for you as soon as January rolls around. Why is it that we give away everything we knit?

1:41 PM  
Blogger georg said...

I'd probably pick recycled silk. Maybe blended with alpaca or angora.

2:09 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Qiviut--I misspelled it earlier--is the fine underwool from musk oxen. Pics & info at www.qiviut.com and www.muskoxfarm.org - I once owned a pair of quiviut/angora/Golden Retriever half-mitts made by a volunteer at the musk ox farm in Anchorage. That yarn is what lured me into handspinning.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Cool scarf, Nancy. I'll bet hubby will love it.

I've yet to run into my favorite yarn so am taking notes here and elsewhere. Good excuse to try them all, right?

6:44 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Hmm, I'd like to try qiviut, too. Cashmere is wonderful. Alpaca is nice, too. Silk, merino ...

10:46 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

My choice would be cashmere!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Wow, Laura, those half-mitts sound amazing! I went to the qiviut website you listed and was fascinated by the info. Now I'm dying to order the $80 "cap kit" which is the only way you can get your hands on the fibre to make something yourself. Maybe Santa will bring it to me. ;-)

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is so many yarns I never tried. Until now, my favorite is the Socks that Rock, medium weight. I am tempted to use it to knit my Clapotis shawl, for some fingerless mittens...I would have all colorways.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home