Friday, August 25, 2006

Knitaphobia: stop it before it stops you!


I sent off that comment to Sandra's post and then I started thinking: knitaphobe knitaphobe . . . Knitaphobia!

Can't you just see it? The Girl Who Was Afraid To Knit! See her run screaming through the woods at the sight of double points! Watch her cower in the bushes when the new Vogue Knitting arrives! See her secretly stroke handknit garments in the dark of night when she thinks no one is watching her . . .

Knitaphobia: it's real, it's here, and only SuperWash can save her now!

I was a knitaphobe once too, Sandra. There is a cure but it involves very sharp pointed objects, mass quantities of fiber, and a ritual so secret, so shrouded in mystery, that only The Great Elizabeth Zimmerman knew what it was and that great knitting goddess took the secret with her when she left us.

We have her interest, knitters, but we haven't closed the deal. Any ideas on how to woo the resident knitaphobe over to the Woolly Side?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best way to lure people to the wooly side is to take them to the local yarn shop, especially if it's a good one. There, you get to pet all the yarn, reveling in the fuzzy, silky, wooly, and soft. You get to see all the colors available, live, in person, and see how squishy the yarn really is. I know I was suckered into it that way, and I love taking newbies there, now.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Fran Baker said...

Cathy's right. Hands on is the only way to go. I always get suckered into adding to my stash.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I must be weird ("must be"? how about "am") but I can spend an hour in a yarn shop and spend nothing at all. Sure I love seeing a wall of Koigu or a display of Noro but I become very disciplined in the shops -- uncomfortable, to be honest -- and I usually leave spending under $20.

BUT set me loose on eBay or scrolling through Elann or Patternworks or (be still my heart) WEBS or Wool Needlework and I can do major damage. It will take me hours or days to settle on what I want but baby, I'll spend more than $20. I guaran-dam-tee that! My brains kicks into what-if mode with catalogues (either virtual or paper) it kicks into how-fast-can-I-get-out-of-here mode in the LYS.

Go figure.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I'm with Cathy: I'm a tactile yarn buyer--I NEED to touch it before I can bring myself to buy it. If it doesn't feel good, I instantly put it back on the display shelf. That's probably why catalogues don't tempt me.

Unfortunately, the yarns that feel the best are often the incredibly expensive ones, generally including silk to various degrees, so I'm lured into spending way more than I should.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandra--where I live the best LYS is also a 2 hr. drive round trip. Call it a girl's day out, go with a yarn buddy, and have coffee or something after. (There is a Ben & Jerry's on the way home.....) Until recently, I only managed to make it a couple of times/year, but since becoming a mom-to-be, I make it over there about once/month, if not more often. It's about 15 minutes away from my OB. :)

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home