Monday, August 28, 2006

CONTEST! CONTEST! CONTEST! Last Call!!


He's starting to look a tad annoyed, isn't he? Must've dropped a stitch or two.

Be that as it may, September 1st is right around the corner which means if you haven't taken a moment to enter our Spectacular Blog Launch Contest, you're running out of time.

In case you've forgotten, here's the rundown on all the goodies awaiting the Grand Prize Winner and 5 other lucky runners-up:

The extremely lucky Grand Prize winner will take home those two gorgeous skeins of Noro Kureyon in wonderful #40 and a signed copy of MERCY by our Jean Brashear. Our GP winner will also receive (courtesy of yours truly) signed copies of SOMEONE LIKE YOU and GIRLS OF SUMMER, a copy of the incredible WENDY KNITS; a skein of Lion Brand Fun Fur because sometimes a girl has to play; a breathtaking skein of Lisa Souza's Earth Birth superwash sock yarn; #0US 47 inch Addi Turbos so you can try to Magic Loop; and Clover blocking pins, the best blocking pins on the planet. (In my estimation, at least.)

BTW, both Jean and I hold monthly contests at our websites. The links are on the vertical nav bar or you can click here for Jean or here for me.

Believe it or not, that's not all. It's not even close to all.

Sandra Marton offers to the grand prize winner signed copies of THE KNIGHT BROTHERS, her Waldenbooks Best-Selling trilogy that came out in March, May and July. Sandra also holds monthly contests at her website.

I'll let Nancy Herkness tell you about her current monthly website contest herself:

While vacationing in Colorado, my family and I went shopping in Manitou Springs, a quirky town near the Garden of the Gods. We found this great boutique (where my daughter went on a regular shopping spree) and I spotted this gorgeous cascade of beads. It can be worn tied as a necklace, draped like a scarf, or, if you’re slim, wrapped as a belt. The colors are lovely and reminded me of the natural shades we saw in Colorado: mossy green, deep lavender blue and rosy pink. My husband says it’s so fabulous that I should keep it for myself but I bought it for my readers so here it is as my latest contest prize. Good luck!

And then there are the goodies for our Grand Prize winner: signed copies of Nancy's SHOWER OF STARS and WELCOME TO WISTERIA LANE: ON AMERICA'S FAVORITE DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. Nancy says, "Welcome to Wisteria Lane is an anthology of essays about the television show; all sorts of writers contributed." She's also donating a great magnet for your car that reads K2TOG so everyone knows you're dedicated to your craft.

Fran Baker is donating a large print copy of THE WIDOW AND THE WILDCATTER and a surprise goodie.

Jamie Denton, who also holds monthly website contests, is contributing an autographed copy of HARD TO HANDLE, an autographed ARC of THE MATCHMAKER and a "grab bag of yarn"

Terese Ramin also blogs at The Lip Service Gang where they hold a monthly contest.

Elizabeth Boyle is donating a signed book and a skein of something gorgeous. BTW, she runs a monthly contest at her website too.

Laura Phillips is supplying the Grand Prize winner with an assortment of her back titles and something wonderfully knitterly.

Gloria Alvarez, where are you?

And last but definitely not least, we have sock surprises for the 5 runners-up:A wonderful skein of Austermann STEP in a gorgeous colourway whose number isn't in front of me right now; 2 skeins of Knit Picks PARADE; 2 skeins of Paton's KROY #54701; 2 skeins of Gedifra Fashion Trend Sportivo in #5793; 2 skeins of Fortissima Colori Socka in #4009. Who gets what will be determined at random. And there will be little extras included too.

Don't wait a second longer! ENTER THE CONTEST! You can click on the blue button marked CONTEST at the top of your screen or click right here. Just put CONTEST in the Subject line and click send. We'll do the rest.

Good luck!
Barbara

20 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Liam's looking annoyed because he knows that Pierce Brosnan got more votes than he did.

3:25 PM  
Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I'm sorry, Nancy. I'm just a lurker, but I sincerely DOUBT Pierce got more votes than Liam - unless you stuffed the ballot box yourself.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

So I don't visit for a few days and you all go and post about not only the most amazing prize ever (I've heard about the mystical Noro Kureyon, but have never actually seen it...), but you also get into an impossible debate...Liam v. Pierce...I'll take both, please! Maybe we should give one sock to Liam and the other to Pierce, then ask them to come together for a joint picture of their awards. ;)

Ok, I am off to drool about the idea of a prize package of books + yarn + other potential goodies...oh my...so overwhelming...so perfect! I am going to have a supreme case of envy of whoever wins this dream prize! (Maybe I will be able to envy myself!...I know, I know, pipe dream! ;) )

7:36 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Et tu, monkeygurrrl, casting aspersions on my scientific methods? LOL. Barbara did that too. However, I swear I just walked into my beauty salon and asked everyone there which one was cuter: Pierce or Liam. The votes are the votes.

Not only that but I was reading another blog in which the question was "if you could have one guilt-free night with anyone, who would it be"? I read all 77 responses (out of curiosity) and found three votes for Pierce and zero for Liam. Sorry guys--the majority has spoken!

P.S. Gerard Butler got a ton of votes on the aforementioned blog and I'd be willing to settle for him as a third option.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Okay, I know this is going to brand me as a total moron (and clearly one too lazy to Google for the answer) but who is Gerard Butler? Was he the Phantom or The Other Guy? I am speaking as probably the only woman on the planet who fell asleep during the play on Broadway and who still hasn't been able to sit through the movie without zoning out through entire scenes. (I thought Minnie Driver was actually the best thing in it.) Get some therapy, Phantom. Get a backbone, Other Guy. Rethink your career plans, Christine . . . (That was her name, wasn't it?)

8:11 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Oh, Barbara, sometimes you disappoint me. Gerard Butler was the Phantom, of course! How could anyone fall in love with the wimpy other guy, whatever his name was?

Actually I didn't think much of PHANTOM on Broadway either. However, Gerry hooked me in the movie. You have to at least fast forward to the "Point of No Return" scene. There's some serious chemistry in that one.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Having a Knit Fitt said...

So far I can add 3 more votes for Liam. It was no contest when I asked. Although John Cusack got write in votes I didn't count them.
Cate

9:48 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Nancy, I swear to you that I'm not trying to be a wiseass (although I am descended from a long and honorable line of same) but if there was chemistry in that movie it must've been in a lab because I sure didn't see any. It left me utterly cold. I liked one song -- something about say you'll love for something or other -- and that's about it.

I admit to being pretty much immune to actors and singers, etc. They usually don't register on me. (With the notable exception of Liam and my all-time #1 favorite Irishman Peter O'Toole.)

Maybe I got it all out of my system when I was a 14 year old Beatlemaniac who chased Paul McCartney's girlfriend down West 50th Street and who led a charge of Catholic schoolgirls down Broadway in pursuit of poor Soupy Sales. (Anyone else old enough to remember Soupy Sales?)

Gerard Butler? Whatever. William Daniels as John Adams in 1776? I need a defibrillator!!

Color me weird . . .

10:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Okay. You want serious major eye candy? You want fantasy time? Rent the staged movie version (not the live performance) of Pirates of Penzances w/Kevin Kline, Rex Smith and Linda Ronstadt. Then sit back and feast your eyes on Kevin Kline with a full head of curls, piratical moustache, tight black pants, thigh high leather boots, and slashed to the waist billowy pirate shirt. That's my fantasy. Right there. A nice clean bad boy pirate who uses Right Guard and Colgate Toothpaste.

Did I mention the tight pants and thigh high boots?

10:24 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

1776!!! My all-time favorite musical EVER!!!! I even saw the Broadway revival with Brent Spiner as John Adams--and he was surprisingly good as a William Daniels substitute.

I adored Kevin Kline in Pirates of Penzance--he was sexy AND funny! You see, our tastes aren't as diametrically opposed as you thought!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Yes! Yes! Brent Spiner was WONDERFUL -- what a surprise he was. There's a new DVD of 1776 (the original) out w/some of the songs restored from the Broadway version. Frankly sometimes the director's cut isn't an improvement. I like the paring down they did for the theatrical version. At the risk of sounding seriously weird, if you want chemistry to the max look at "John" and "Abigail" in the movie--never touching, never in the same town, but (to me) incredibly sexy and romantic. Then again there's just something wonderful about a tightly-controlled Alpha male -- when he's undone by love, watch out!

11:42 PM  
Blogger Mrs. H said...

For the record, if you don't pick me for at least one of those prizes I'm never reading your blog again!!! (just kidding) But seriously, PICK ME!!

Anyone who didn't see the chemistry in "Point of No Return" in "Phantom" had to have been in a deep sleep. Just sayin.

I never had the slightest urge to see the stage production. I've heard the music and it just seemed stuffy and uninspiring. With Gerard's gruff and passionate (though, admittedly less artful) voice and his hot bod, well... I'm now very inspired! As an aside- OH how I'd love to have Emmy's 16 year old body and be able to fit in that corsett! Notice I said "Have her body" not "Be 16". Major difference.

Pierce wins hands down in my totally unscientific poll of my 40ish friends. Liam doesn't even register on the meter. Most of us have been drooling over Pierce since Remington Steele and are not likely to stop any time soon. I still stand behind my write in, though. Gerry. MMM.

Did I mention, "PICK ME FOR THE CONTEST!!!!!"?

8:50 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Okay, that's it, you guys have me hooked. I guess I'll have to keep coming back regardless of the contest results.

Knittng + Books + hot guys + '1776' = a VERY happy me.

I'm actually working with a stage production of '1776' right now (we take the stage on Sept 15) and while our cast includes neither William Daniels nor Brent Spiner, they're fun to watch.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Tam, I think we're twin sisters who were separated at birth.

Nicole, good luck with opening night of "1776"! Are you an actress, director or production person? Or all of the above? Wish I could see the performance: the movie's great but there's nothing like live theatre.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks, Nancy! I'm producing this one, and then will be running the sound as well. Acting's not really my thing, but I love being involved in theatre. I agree: there's nothing quite like it.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Nicole and Nancy, you've just pushed me right out of my Musical Loving Closet. I am an avid lover of the Musical. I am an avid lover of live theatre. (I'm lucky enough to live ten miles away from Princeton's McCarter Theater and we take full advantage of the productions. Not to mention the small local groups and [ahem] Broadway less than 90 minutes away.)

This weekend I treated myself to a batch of DVDs on the Broadway Musical hosted by Julie Andrews. If you want to get all misty, rent them and watch performances so stellar that the top of your head almost comes off. (Zero Mostel in Fiddler and A Funny Thing; Ethel Merman; Mary Martin; Julie Andrews; Richard Burton; the original productions of West Side Story and Camelot and My Fair Lady and and and)

Another one I highly recommend -- 5 stars out of a possible 4! -- is Broadway: The Movie an independently produced (and affectionate) look back at a time and place (the NY theater) that doesn't exist anylonger. Lots of great interviews with stars no longer with us and some who, thank God, still are. He's working on a sequel and trying to get funding. Check out http://www.broadwaythemovie.com for a look.

You really struck a chord with me. Nicole, I'd love to know what it's like behind the scenes. There's something that calls to me even though I don't have one single ounce of performing talent in my entire aging body. I'd just love to breathe the same air as those wonderful performers!!!!!!!!!!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

If you want to start me sobbing, just play the first few notes of "The Impossible Dream"...MAN OF LA MANCHA is another of my favorites.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

The time is spring 1967. My best friend and I are bopping around Manhattan looking for prom dresses. We were both major Man of La Mancha. We left B. Altman (much missed) and wandered over to the Empire State Building, zipped up to the top, and sang Dulcinea's song at the tops of our lungs. And, in a scary twist of fate (if you heard me sing you'd know exactly how scary), they had a "make your own record" machine in the lobby. So we crammed into the booth and recorded our version of "one pair of hands is like another . . ." while laughing our teenage butts off. I remember it like it was yesterday!

Nancy, next time at Sardi's (fitting, no?) I'll entertain you with my version of "Vat are ya gonna do, shoot da svan? Dese lovelies?" from FUNNY GIRL.

Run for your life!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I really love being behind the scenes, Barbara. It gives me a way to be a part of the show without having to be onstage. And as a part of the tech crew, I am just as much a part of the production as the actors - only the only time I get noticed is when I make a mistake.

I'll try to post my thoughts and experiences on my wordpress blog (lairofthebookwyrm.wordpress.com) but it will probably not happen until after we open. We're heading into tech and Hell Weeks, which live up to their names and will keep me from doing very little that isn't show-related for a bit.

But I am jealous of your proximity to Broadway. I've never had the opportunity to go.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

Nicole, I intend to haunt your blog waiting for backstage gossip. A friend of mine designed costumes for touring companies and local theaters in Miami Beach. She said Sound of Music was the worst (nuns' habits -- eek) and for best it was a toss-up between A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC and PHANTOM. A guy she grew up with was the costume something or other for the B'way production of PHANTOM for a good ten years or so. Lotsa gossip.

If you ever come to NYC let us know.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home