Thursday, July 27, 2006

Dream Space


Laura's post got me to thinking. Not always a dangerous thing, either. Actually, while reading her post, I was nodding my head in agreement to the point I think I sprained something.

Unlike Laura, however who tucks her wools around the house, I do tend to keep mine all in one place. Unfortunately, it's not just wools and the tools that take up all the space in the third bedroom of our house.

There are all my cross stitch supplies -- the DMC floss stored in fancy containers and surplus stored numerically in zip lock bags. Aida cloth in colors I can't even remember what pattern I'd been intent on creating.

Then there are all the sewing supplies. Spools of thread, a hand-me-down surger from my mom that's still in the box and never opened, sewing patterns, a couple of sewing box storing needles and whatever a crafty person might need to sew, and of course, fabric. I have bolts of the stuff. Material for dresses or summer outfits I never made for me. Fabric for things I'd wanted to make for my grandkids that I just never got around to and now they've outgrown the babyish designs.

We can't forget all the yarns for knitting and crocheting projects just waiting to be tackled. There are tubs of the stuff. Big tubs, which my DH refers to wool coffins.

And books. If I did an actual inventory, I think I could easily find that I have just as many pattern books for the various needle arts to rival that of the library of research books and keepers on the 12' of bookshelves in my office.

While all of this stuff occupies the third bedroom in our house, it's not my dream space, it's merely a storage space. We're essentially in a holding pattern in this old house, hoping to buy a new one that is far more suitable to our needs sometime next year. One of these days I'll have my dream space for all my crafting supplies. I've envisioned this room for years, and I know just how it's supposed to look. It'll have built in cabinets and drawers, all organized by craft. It'll have a sewing table and space that would make Vera Wang drool. It'll have a small stereo and a television and DVD player, too, and a comfortable chair with a good side table and lamp where I can sit quietly and stitch to my heart's content. And it'll have a window facing the backyard of my dreams, overlooking the gardens. Ah...I can't wait!

So what's your dream crafting space like? Do you have it yet, or are like me and it's still in the dream stage?

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I want one long continuous counter top that runs around all four walls of the room.

Then I want a crew of elves to clean it up every night while I'm sleeping.

5:54 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Is that a Singer treadle cabinet behind that chair?

I want wall-to-wall open bins, like those you find yarn shops. Big windows for natural light. A huge walk-in closet with tubs. And yes, elves to clean it up.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love one of the rooms just for my crafts too. I have 30 year old Singer sawing machine that I would not trade for anything.

I love cross stiching too and I like to crotchet throws. I do know how to knint,but don't do much.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home