Thursday, July 27, 2006

A budding fiber addiction

I'm joining the fiber addicted although I don't have major stashes like Laura and Jamie's. Give me time!

I had to share the yarn I just picked up for my next project. (I can't tell you what the project is or who it's for because it's a Christmas gift for someone who might be reading this blog.) The picture doesn't do the yarn justice: it's variegated in beautiful deep shades of purple, lavender and hot pink. It feels lovely to the fingers.

Even better it's called Manos del Uruguay (The Hands of Uruguay) which is a non-profit organization comprised of more than 400 artisans in cooperatives throughout Uruquay. Manos' mission is to bring economic and social opportunities to rural women.

Manos yarn is spun from a blend of Merino and Corriedale wools and then dyed in large kettles in 90+ colors. Because it's hand-dyed, there are no dye lots. The label recommends knitting two rows from one skein and then two rows from a different skein to give a blended effect. I don't think that will be an issue with the variegated variety and besides I like the different shades.

I'm forcing myself not to start the new project until I get the soccer flag's border finished but, boy, is it hard to keep my hands off this yarn!


Blogger Fran Baker said...

Oh, Nancy, that yarn is stunning! I'll get some first chance. Eeek! You guys are going to turn me into a fiber addict.

7:32 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Manos is awesome. And who could resist yarn with such a story behind it.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I have to confess that I fell in love with the yarn before I read the label explaining where it comes from. But there's nothing wrong with icing on the cake, right?

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home