Thursday, July 27, 2006

A budding fiber addiction


I'm joining the fiber addicted although I don't have major stashes like Laura and Jamie's. Give me time!

I had to share the yarn I just picked up for my next project. (I can't tell you what the project is or who it's for because it's a Christmas gift for someone who might be reading this blog.) The picture doesn't do the yarn justice: it's variegated in beautiful deep shades of purple, lavender and hot pink. It feels lovely to the fingers.

Even better it's called Manos del Uruguay (The Hands of Uruguay) which is a non-profit organization comprised of more than 400 artisans in cooperatives throughout Uruquay. Manos' mission is to bring economic and social opportunities to rural women.

Manos yarn is spun from a blend of Merino and Corriedale wools and then dyed in large kettles in 90+ colors. Because it's hand-dyed, there are no dye lots. The label recommends knitting two rows from one skein and then two rows from a different skein to give a blended effect. I don't think that will be an issue with the variegated variety and besides I like the different shades.

I'm forcing myself not to start the new project until I get the soccer flag's border finished but, boy, is it hard to keep my hands off this yarn!

3 Comments:

Blogger Fran Baker said...

Oh, Nancy, that yarn is stunning! I'll get some first chance. Eeek! You guys are going to turn me into a fiber addict.

7:32 PM  
Blogger LauraP said...

Manos is awesome. And who could resist yarn with such a story behind it.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

I have to confess that I fell in love with the yarn before I read the label explaining where it comes from. But there's nothing wrong with icing on the cake, right?

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home