Tuesday, July 28, 2009

making it up as I go along



Some of you may remember a few months back, when I posted a photo of a vest offered by Chadwick's. It was a green crochet vest and I was seeking a knitted pattern for something similar.

I never did find a pattern, so I decided to make one up. This is the result.

As you can see, it's really nothing like the Chadwick's version. It's shorter and closer-fitting. I'd like to try again with a different pattern, but I thought this turned out well enough, considering I'd never made anything without a pattern before, and had to make it up as I went along.

Those with sharp eyes will notice the couple of inches of crochet trim all around. I made this with Cascade Fixation in Denim and thought the cotton/elastic yarn would stretch more, so my initial effort was too small. A little decorative trim to the rescue.

The lace pattern is a very simple openwork pattern from this scarf.
This photo shows the pattern better.



So -- not a complete failure for my first effort, but I'll pay closer attention to measurements next time.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Fran Baker said...

That's cute, Cindi!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Wow, Cindi, I'm impressed! I think it looks terrific. I've never attempted anything as complex as a vest without a pattern. I struggle to get things I make WITH a pattern to fit. You go, girl!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home