making it up as I go along
Some of you may remember a few months back, when I posted a photo of a vest offered by Chadwick's. It was a green crochet vest and I was seeking a knitted pattern for something similar.
I never did find a pattern, so I decided to make one up. This is the result.
As you can see, it's really nothing like the Chadwick's version. It's shorter and closer-fitting. I'd like to try again with a different pattern, but I thought this turned out well enough, considering I'd never made anything without a pattern before, and had to make it up as I went along.
Those with sharp eyes will notice the couple of inches of crochet trim all around. I made this with Cascade Fixation in Denim and thought the cotton/elastic yarn would stretch more, so my initial effort was too small. A little decorative trim to the rescue.
The lace pattern is a very simple openwork pattern from this scarf.
This photo shows the pattern better.
So -- not a complete failure for my first effort, but I'll pay closer attention to measurements next time.