Thursday, April 05, 2007

Rough around the edges



I’m knitting another baby bib from the Mason-Dixon Knitting book for another christening. As you can see I’m using a dusty blue and a rather fabulous orangey red (it’s another boy). I decided to make the stripes narrower and more frequent than the last bib I made but I’m still having an issue with running the color that’s not in use up the edge of the project. It just doesn’t look polished somehow.

Here’s my question for you pros: how do you deal with switching colors without cutting and weaving in a million ends and still make it look nice? Or is that an impossible task?

7 Comments:

Blogger Knitterary said...

When one of my SnB buddies made a Hogwarts scarf, she wove the ends up the gap between the first and second stitches of the row, rather than at the end of the row. You might have to play around with it to get it to look good, though. I remember it frustrated her some.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I'm no expert, but I've made a couple of stripy scarves. I keep both balls of yarn attached at all times, and at the end where the color change for the stripe occurs, I twist the two strands (intarsia-style) and continue on with whichever I need. The unused yarn is carried up the selvedge, twisted in so it is hardly noticible, and in the end I only have four ends to weave (two at each end!)

12:06 PM  
Blogger georg said...

I <3 self striping sock yarn.

I did one striped scarf that was two rows of each color (garter stitch), so it was just hold one color off to a side and wait its turn. Haven't done it for anything bigger than that.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Knitterary, that's an interesting idea. I'll have to fool around with it and see what happens.

Loribird, you must be a better yanr-twister than I am. Mine comes out looking, well, twisted and not so nice.

Georg, LOL, I'll get self-striping yarn next time and avoid the whole problem.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Just so you know, I've taken all your advice into account and my edge truly is looking much neater. Many thanks for the help!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If all else fails--a quick and dirty border of single crochet around it would work, too.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Nancy Herkness said...

Oooh, Kathy, that's a great idea, esp. for a bib! Thanks!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home