Monday, January 29, 2007

Dream Baby

"I'm going to be a grandmother," my friend said.

"Girl or boy?" I asked.

"A girl, due in April." My friend smiled expectantly. "Will you make her something?"

"Of course. What do you want?"

"A blanket. Something soft and snuggly."


I knew just the pattern I wanted to use: Feather and Fan. But I didn't have anything in my stash that was soft and snuggly enough. Which meant a trip to my LYS. On the drive over, I had my radio tuned to the oldies station and was happily singing along to Roy Orbison and his 1962 hit, "Dream Baby."

Now Roy Orbison was a favorite of mine long before Julia Roberts starred in the "Pretty Woman" movie. His rockabilly songs - songs like "Mean Woman Blues" - invited me to dance, and I did. And his cris de coeur such as "Running Scared" or "Only the Lonely" touched something deep inside me. I've still got all his old 33 1/3 albums and I've got him on CD and DVD, too. And there's always the oldies station ...

But I digress. Well, maybe not too much. Because inside my LYS, I started looking through the yarn choices for babies when what should I find but Plymouth Yarn's DREAM BABY!


Was that a sign, or what? I bought ten balls in a pink/lavender/yellow colorway, came home and started knitting the blanket this weekend. And guess what I've been humming as I work?

P.S. What's your favorite baby blanket pattern?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kenyetta said...

What a pretty coincidence! The yarn is gorgeous!

3:21 PM  
Blogger georg said...

I tend to be really boring with the afghans I've made and just did straight garter stitch. It's great brainless stitching when I want my mind elsewhere, like plotting or sitting in class.

4:23 PM  
Blogger monica said...

This is the one I make most often.
http://www.nancyhearne.com/drawingboard/cableblanket.htm I love the way it turns out. I like to make the pinwheel blanket too until you have 800 stitches to knit around http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm And this is the one I am knitting right now for a gal I work with. http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/babyblanket.shtm

10:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara Bretton said...

I love EZ's square baby blanket, the one that's worked in wedges that interlock w/almost no seaming. (I wish I had the book in front of me.) I also like a big fat bulky cabled blanket I made a few years ago for a friend's new grandbaby: 3 strands of yarn, #15 circular -- a bit of a pain in the butt to work but it made a soft, squooshy, fabulous blanket. I also love Knitty Geek's Blankie: http://www.knittinggeek.com/gallery/2002gallery/other/blankie.htm

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home