Saturday, August 06, 2011

Yarnmageddon

I decided to try to organize my “yarn stash corner” so I can actually see what I have. This would be quite helpful in preventing me from going to my LYS, the Sheep & Wool Festival, and the Wool Arts Tour and buying the same thing I bought the previous year.

First, I had to measure the space in the corner. Since it’s under a sloping ceiling, that made it a little more difficult. But I used a tape measure and did the best I could.

I bought five pink stackable plastic milk crates, figuring I could do a column of two and another of three. I could put them open-side out so I could see the contents.

I should have taken a picture of the corner as it was, but I was so excited to get going, I forgot. Just imagine a towering pile of plastic and paper bags, containing goodies not seen since the dark ages.

I did, however, take a picture of all the “keeper” things I pulled out and put on the bed. Unfortunately, it came out blurry. But it’ll give you an idea of all the loose skeins of  yarn, books, needles, unfinished projects, unSTARTED projects, and knitting bags that were stuffed in that corner.

IMG_0159

I also pulled our four bags of yarn scrap odds and ends, a huge pile of old magazines, and a decorative bird’s nest. Hmm.

By that point, I was thoroughly weak and exhausted, so I took a lunch break. Smile Who knew it would be such a tough job? I think I burned off at least three hundred calories.

After the nutrition hit my system, I returned and started organizing, which involved storing yarn by weight, swearing, stacking started projects, threatening the milk crates when they made suspicious creaks, and a lot of eye-rolling.

And at last, everything was in place. It’s still crowded and not easy to see everything, but it’s a vast improvement. What do you think?

IMG_0160

I’ve learned that I have enough lace yarn, virtually all in pink, purple or blue, to make shawls for the entire Radio City Rockettes. My favorites seem to be Cherry Tree Hill yarn, and Ball and Skein yarn, based on how many skeins of each I have.

I have enough sock yarn for three or four pairs of socks, which sounds about right. And a few skeins of various sport and worsted weight yarn.

And I also have about ten unstarted or unfinished projects. I’ll certainly never run out of things to do.

There! I feel so much better. I think I’ve earned a little snack! Tomorrow, I  may open my own yarn store… Smile

5 Comments:

Blogger JelliDonut said...

unSTARTED--I love that word!

4:07 PM  
Blogger Saren Johnson said...

Only enough sock yarn for three or four socks? Now I feel dirty, because I have enough for 30 pairs.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth D said...

I regret to inform you that such an easily contained amount of yarn qualifies only in the Beginner Stash category. . .

12:28 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Delisi said...

I have heard it said that sock yarn doesn't count toward your stash. I'm just sayin'. :-)

But does that truly make me a beginner? I need to buy more yarn!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous crochet terms said...

Wow! That's a lot of yarn you got there!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home